main objectives of my project were accomplished:
- Through the course of the
project, I tried many 3D studio techniques, some worked and some that did
not. I experimented with 3D studio and the CAVE, and through the process,
ended up with a greater understanding of both systems.
- Using my experiences during
the project, I established some basic guidelines on using 3D studio and
- I added upon the process for
converting 3D studio *.3DS files into Openflight *.flt files which can be
directly read into the CAVE. Scripts like ‘saranolit’ developed previously
by Dennis Cafiero, and ‘jpgTorgb’ developed by David Weatherly proved
extremely helpful. These scripts are available on my project website.
- Using simple 3D studio models
to explain the conversion process, I finally used the guidelines to
convert a 3D studio architectural model and visualize it in the CAVE.
design.max design.3DS design.flt
: The 3d studio *.max file
: File exported out of 3D studio as
*.3DS format, as seen in Nugraf
File exported out of nugraf in *.flt format, which directly opens in the
- To make my findings more
accessible, I designed this web page and made some of my files available.